Time Machine equivalent?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bedouin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. bedouin macrumors member

My job has me working in Windows on weekends. After a couple months, I finally have everything the way I want it. On top of that, my employer has installed licenses for certain apps, and I’d rather not need to have them installed again.

What’s the closest thing to Time Machine in Windows, preferably something built in the OS itself? I don’t need constant backups, but something I can perhaps run when major changes are made

I’m running Windows 10 Professional with Bootcamp.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Winclone which back-up you entire bootcamp partition and that can go into Time Machine

3. hajime macrumors 603

Hi, I use time machine and ccc to backup and clone my MBP. For my thinkpad with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed, could you please let me know the best and most reliable way to backup and clone the system? Thanks

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Post #3 ^ ^ ^
    Take your pick.

5. hajime macrumors 603

6. DarthVader! macrumors regular

DarthVader!

I believe they offer a trial. You can see how it works yourself

7. hajime macrumors 603

I know but a short term trial may not reveal the stability of the program. Anybody has been using this product for more than 4 years?

8. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

How about 10 years? As I stated above, it has never failed me and has saved my bacon many times. I gave you lots of apps to choose from. Look them up and go over any reviews for them if possible.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will give you a taste of how it works, and whether it performs to your needs. I suggest you backup/restore your system on any of the trials so you can get a better understanding the apps and you can then choose the one that best fits your needs.

10. hajime macrumors 603

Many years ago, Norton Ghost suddenly failed to restore. I lost all data. I guess it is better to use 2-3 backup software just in case.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Use the 3-2-1 backup strategy.
    3 copies of your data
    2 media types
    1 offsite

12. hajime macrumors 603

Perhaps manually drag and drop personal files to one external drive. Use Windows backup one another drive and if paranoid, use Acronis on 3rd drive.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would also mention some sort of cloud backup or OneDrive/DropBox. I have my non-personal files in both, so they're effectively on another server.