Time Machine error, but plenty of space left...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ero87, Dec 11, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

Not sure what to do here... every time Time Machine tries to backup all of sudden, it doesn't work. Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you plug in any other drives when doing a backup?

3. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Right click on your backup drive on your desktop and click Get Info. Expand the "Sharing and Permissions" section at the bottom. What permissions does it say you have? It should say "You can read and write". If not, you may have to mess with the permissions.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's probably not a permission problem.

I had the same problem with Time Machine and it ended up being caused by my non-Time Machine external.

I just plugged it back in and suddenly Time Machine worked just fine after that even without the second drive again.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Time Machine is really screwy. And its preferences Panel is about the worst one I've ever seen from Apple. It's almost as though they hired a Winblows programmer to write it.

I had a 500 gig drive as my backup and TM worked the first time for about 5 days, then I started getting errors that the volume didn't have enough room on it, even though there was still about 175 gigs left. I reformatted. Still wouldn't work right. Last weekend I picked up a second 500 gig and RAIDed both as a 1 tb volume. TM has been working so far - but I'm only 3 days in. (crossed fingers)

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I agree that Time Machine still needs some work on it.

I'd prefer that Apple patched it independently of OS X updates as well just to get it fixed much more quickly.

7. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

...no, i don't own any other external drives...

I was going to try just unplugging/plugging in the external hd, but it won't even eject and i'm afraid to yank out the cord when it's not ejected (i can't imagine what app would be using it, i restarted the finder with no luck). oh boy...

Attached Files:

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I won't let you eject it as well.

I never tried to unmount it via Terminal though.

My problem was my second external drive.

9. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You could just turn off your computer...

Logging out works as well.

11. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

restart had no effect... meh.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

13. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I am getting the same exact error but I only have 131 MB of space left. I thought Time Machine was supposed to delete older backups if there was no space left?

14. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Ok now it's backing up, but it's been going for 10 minutes right now. Fix Time Machine Apple.

edit: nevermind, still won't back up anymore.

15. benguild macrumors 6502a

Bump, because I'm having the same problem now.

A week or so ago I started getting messages that it was deleting old backups to make free-space. Now it's giving me these errors... and if I watch it backup in System Preferences I can see that its almost struggling for space.

The only other time I received these messages was when it was backing up my Parallels folder (9 GB) which I didn't need, and since that changes constantly it was effing everything-up.

So to try and solve this I've told it NOT to backup my Applications folder (9.5 GB) and we'll see what happens now. I'll post-back if this doesn't work.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are your drives attached by Firewire or USB? I use Firewire and have had no problems personally with Time Machine, even when my Macbook has crashed in the middle of a backup.

17. benguild macrumors 6502a

I have a Mac Pro and it's backing-up to an internal additional hard-drive.
    Unchecking Applications didn't work either.

:(

18. benguild macrumors 6502a

Okay, so I rechecked Applications (that didn't matter) but followed some instructions I found online to Eject/Unmount additional drives.

Well, it worked. I had a LaCie drive mounted and once it was gone Time Machine backed-up successfully. Very weird, clearly needs to be fixed by Apple.

(fyi. I was backing-up to an additional drive in my Mac Pro, not an external)