Time Machine Error: "This backup is too large for the backup volume"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xcapepr, Jan 27, 2009.

1. xcapepr macrumors newbie

xcapepr

Well TM is acting up. I get an error that reads:

"This backup is too large for the backup volume."

Both the internal boot disk and the external baclup drive are 1TB. The internal one has a two partitions, the OSX one that is 900GBs and a 32GB NTFS one for Boot Camp.

The external drive is a single OSX Extended part. that is 932GBs.

Both the Time Machine disk, and the Boot Camp disk are excluded from the backup along with a "Crap" folder for temporary large files.

Time Machine says it needs 938GBs to backup only the OSX disk, which has 806GBs in use with the rest free. WTFFF?

This happened after moving a large folder (128GB in total) from the root of the OSX disk over to my Home Folder.

I have reformated the Time Machine drive and have no backups at all of my data and it refuses to backup!!

Why would it need 938GBs of space to backup if the disk has "only" 806 GBs in use??? Is there anyway to reset Time Machine completely???

Some quick screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I would guess that your previous existing TM backup set is too big to suddenly add the new 128G of files to. Reformatting the drive will nuke the TM backup and allow you to start over, but you'll quickly use up the TM drive space again. Sounds like a 1.5TB (or the new 2TB WD) disk might be a better way to go.

3. xcapepr thread starter macrumors newbie

xcapepr

The thing is that it was working perfectly before moving that large folder from its original location. I had used TimeMachineEditor to change the backup interval over to every 6 hours, hourly backups seemed excessive. I had backups available all the way to late September. This is a home computer and not much content is created daily.