Time Machine error when using Airport drive problems :-(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chic0, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Whenever I try using Time Machine to backup to my ext drive connected to Extreme, I get an error stating "The backup volume is not in Mac OS Extended journaled format....". The problem is, the drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (journaled) :confused:

I orginally had this working fine few months ago. The drive was originally formatted as FAT32, so i connected to MBP via USB and allowed Time Machine to format it. The first backup was done whilst connected, then subsequent backups worked fine wirelessly.

Then few weeks ago I had a problem so had to delete the previous backups and content. So i connected drive directly using USB again and created a new backup using Time Machine. When I tried backing up wirelessly it wouldnt work. I just kept getting the same formatting error in Time Machine.

I have tried formatting drive again using Disk Utility to Mac OS Extended Journaled, but I am still unable to backup wirelessly. Does anyone know what could be going wrong?

This issue is really winding me up as the drive is definately formatted correctly. Am I missing something?

Any help greatly appreciated.......

2. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any ideas on this issue?

Whenever I connect via USB, backups work fine. Just unable do wirelessly :(

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Umm, not sure how you got it working in the first place, but here's why.

4. Chic0 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah see what you mean, but there has to be a way. One of my friends has it working fine for him and it used to work for me. Just no idea how :confused:

Also I have searched here and some people have it working for them by sounds of it.....

5. newConvert macrumors regular

I used to have it working myself, then all of a sudden it stopped, thought it was the HD, but apparently not... I'm thinking that apple removed the functionality (or broke it) in a firmware update??? This is really aggravating as it was the sole reason for me to get an airport extreme

6. hooper2 macrumors member

I could not be more annoyed at this...

I tried the Terminal line and still no dice...