Time Machine Error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by That-Is-Bull, Feb 22, 2008.

1. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I have a 200 GB hard drive in my iMac and a 320 GB external for Time Machine. I just started getting this bug, I think since I updated to 10.5.2. Time Machine starts backing up as usual, then an error message pops up saying "The backup requires 8.2 GB but only 12.3 GB are available." I have no idea what to do now. Isn't TM supposed to automatically delete old backups when the drive is full? There isn't anything in the preferences to enable/disable it.

Attached Files:

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I've had an error like that before and I just turned TM off and back on and manually started a backup and it worked fine.

3. That-Is-Bull thread starter macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I turned Time Machine off and did a manual backup, when the progress bar was full it stayed there for a few minutes then the same message popped up again.

4. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I have had occasions where I had to reboot and somehow that fixed being able to back up with TM.

5. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I've also opened up Terminal and typed:

/System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/backupd-helper

This ran a TM backup as well when it wouldn't work another way.

6. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

After the 10.5.2 upgrade, TM filled up my 500gig External drive rather quickly.