Time Machine Error

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billyripkin, Apr 13, 2008.

1. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Has anyone else had this same problem and found a way to fix it? I just got a 1GB external hard drive a couple weeks ago and partitioned it into 2 500GB chunks. One of them is a backup for Time Machine which was going well for about a week until one day I started to get the message every hour "Time Machine Error: Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume."

The only thing I have done differently in the past week is updated my iMac to the latest firmware. Any ideas?

2. Seabird macrumors newbie

Help!

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice but I do have the exact same problem! Time Machine was working just fine but now it stops every singe time about halfway through with the same error message. My external is a little older and I'm wondering if that might be the problem - does this sound like a problem with the backup drive or the computer?

3. billyripkin thread starter macrumors 6502

billyripkin

Actually I was able to fix the problem by running a disk utility check on the drive. It has worked now every since.

4. Seabird macrumors newbie

poo

Ouch. Sounds like my xternal drive is probably f-ed. It's probably 4 years old. I did the disk utility thing and it couldn't finish - had too many errors or something. I may try it again but I've got a new drive on the way.