Time Machine Error

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kirkbross, Nov 23, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Any clues to this error... I've been getting it fairly frequently as of late. Probably every few days.

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I get that every once in a while. I think it happens when my external drive goes to its power-save mode, and it doesn't wake up right when TM needs it to.

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Hmmm, mine's a 1TB internal and I have all the energy saving turned off for Pro Tools.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You may have energy saving turned off for Leopard, but the drive itself may have an internal power-save mode that is causing it.

5. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Ahhh... well it doesn't seem to be much of a hazard... I just click OK and backup manually, or just let it go until the next auto backup.

...which reminds me of a question I had: can you set the frequency of auto backups? (I couldn't find this option in TM preferences).

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not within the Leopard preferences, but TimeMachineScheduler can do that for you.

7. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

I've had it too, from time to time. Don't sweat it, not a "real" error, just a pretend one. Manually backup.

As for setting the frequency of TM, it's not something you can do in Leopard. Many are hoping for that functionality either in 10.5.6 or in 10.6, whenever that is...