Time Machine error.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surflordca, Dec 8, 2008.

1. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

First I searched and never found this so if I missed it sorry.

Correct me if I am wrong. When Time Machine backs up and there is not enough room doesn't it delete the oldest back up. At least this is what it did before. Now it won't back up at all. This is the error that I get.

"This backup is to large for the backup volume. The backup requires 500.40GB but only 355.5 GB are available."

My back up drive is a 750GB drive.

2. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Help needed with Time Machine

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this problem :confused:

3. BobZune macrumors 6502a

First update the OS X software to the latest version if you haven't. Then see if the backups work.

If not, force a backup manually (on menu bar, right/option click TM and select Backup Now).

If not, repair the TM disk using Disk Utility (in Applications, Utilities). See if that fixes the problem.

If that fails, consider reformatting TM disk and doing a new backup (partition table has to be GUID if you have an Intel Mac, Apple Partition Map for PPC macs). [Make sure to archive anything ELSE you may have on the TM drive first (other than TM backups)].

A status update would be appreciated.

4. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Thanks for the help. Nothing worked until I reformatted and now everything is great. Once again, thanks... One happy camper :)

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You are welcome. Thanks for the update and glad you have it "working."

6. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Well not one happy camper any more. As soon as my 750gig HD that I use for only Time Machine filled up, Time Machine stopped working again. It won't even show me any backups that are one the drive. Anyone have any ideas??? Shouls I look for a different backup program? If so which one???

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Just out of curiosity, what changes are happening to the system so that it fills up 750GB of backups in about a week and a half? Are you doing extensive audio/video editing? With regards to the issue, in your Time Machine system preferences, there will be an options button which reveals a list that you can add or remove items to be excluded from being backed up. Additionally there should also be a check-marked option there to prompt you if older backups must be deleted.

8. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

There are no big changes. What I think is happening is Time Machine backs up the Mac HD each and every time and not just the changed files. Once it backs up so many times it says Time Machine does not have enough room for the backup. I have selected different things that I don't backup. There is an option asking "WARN WHEN OLD BACKUP ARE DELETED" and I do NOT have this checked so it should just delete and backup by it's self. Any other ideas :confused:

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

According to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3275, there are 3 key explanations for why it may not be doing the incremental backups. 1) You did a system restore recently, but that would only cause a second full backup on the Time Machine volume not multiple ones. 2) the computer name may keep getting changed? or 3) if you had the system in for servicing at an Apple-authorized provider or retail store they may have altered something in your preferences.

10. surflordca thread starter macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Thanks for trying to find help for me but none of the above happened.
    So hear I sit scratching my head :confused: