Time Machine Error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airplaneman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Hey everybody. Time Machine was working fine for me until yesterday, when the "Backup Failed" window appeared. I tried to manually back it up by clicking "Backup Now". Fail. Subsequently, every hour TM tried to backup, the Fail window popped up. Then, today, the backup failed for a reason: The DISK IS READ ONLY. W*F? I haven't touched TM, and now the disk is READ ONLY? I tried repairing with Disk Utility and it bailed out before finishing, saying "this disk could not be repaired". Grrr... So the only option they give me is to wipe out the drive. I decided not to take the chance and googled. After looking at a couple pages, I found that most of the threads were old. Furthermore, most of the problems had to do with Growl, which I don't use. Here is a good one, but I'm not going to delete anything until I get some feedback from the MR community :). What's going on?

2. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

"Drive could not be repaired" sounds like it could simply be a failing drive.

4. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh dear. It's new too :(.

5. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I wiped the drive and tried again and got what I was looking for - the file that kept me from backing up. It's called ".00264a0a0aae". Time Machine says, "You do not have appropriate access privileges to save file “.00264a0a0aae” in folder "*******'s TimeMachine. To view or change access privileges, select the item in Finder and choose File > Get Info."

But I can't find it using finder OR spotlight. Does anyone know what kind of file this is and how I can delete it? I haven't downloaded anything objectionable on my precious Mac, so what can it be? Any help on how to eliminate this file is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6. steffi macrumors 6502a

fsck_hfs and or DiskWarrior can probably restore this.

7. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it can get rid of that weird file and not touch anything else on my Mac, right?

8. steffi macrumors 6502a

I've recovered a Time Machine backup in the past by running fsck_hfs before. It takes a long time but it doesn't look like you had anything to lose.

9. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much for the help!

10. steffi macrumors 6502a

That file is the file that tells Time Machine which machine the backup is from. It includes the mac address of your ethernet card.

On my machine it's

-r-------- 1 robert staff 16 Jul 31 22:34 .002332ca6f42

the folders permissions are

drwxrwxr-x 18 robert staff 680 Aug 22 17:47 .

It's not asking you to change permissions on on the file. It's asking you to change the permission on the folder that folder is the root of the Time Machine Backup drive itself so that implys that that volume is being mounted read only.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=387726

11. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I see! Yea, it was mounted as read only because the disk repair failed. I have now reformatted it (it took a couple tries) and am attempting to backup now. I'll see how it goes and will report back here.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

13. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It has clicked before. I hope it's not slowly failing :(. Also, my latest backup, which was painfully slow, failed once again due to the same reasons as described above- the file could not be saved.

14. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

ARGH! It's still failing! I think the hard drive is going down... Weird thing is, another partition that's formatted in fat is still working fine...:confused:

15. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

As you said the drive is new, I'm assuming it'll be under a return period or warranty, I'd go down those routes.

16. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea. The problem is, it was a gift. I'm not sure if I was ever given a gift receipt:(. Anyways, if the drive fails, I'll take the opportunity to take out my Mac's drive and use that for time machine while upgrading to a 500 GB Scorpio Blue;) (assuming I can't find the receipt for the drive...:()

17. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can now use disk utility to erase it, but I can't format it. It says there is an "I/O error". This means that my external's probably toast, right? I've tried this sooo many times now. Is there any indication that this drive can be fixed at this point?