Time Machine Error?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RossMc, May 8, 2010.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have a Western Digital Elements external HD.

It is formatted for MAC and it used to backup using Time machine fine but now I keep getting this error.

[​IMG]

I have tried formatting it quite a few times but still get the same error about 500MB into the backup.

Is it the Hard Drive that has something wrong with it or is it something on the computer?

The Hard Drive is only about 2 weeks old.

2. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

3. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

What other diagnostics have you attempted with the drive? Disk Utility is good for more than just formatting ;-) ...

For that matter, the error might relate to the disk you're backing up rather than the backup drive. Have you run Disk Utility's verify function on that too? (If it finds errors, you'll need to reboot with your OS X CD in order to repair them.)

4. przemek.rebacz macrumors newbie

Hello

3 days ago i had the same problem, when backing up to an external drive (Wd My Book 1 TB). I read on WD Community that the hard drive was the problem so i've returned it and get My Passport 2.5''

If you're using external drive to backup you're files, try using another hard drive.

Hope it helps!

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

You should try to format it.
    I have the same External HDD, and I have no problem at all.
    First backup is always slow, as you may know unless you are new to Mac.
    As przemek.rebacz said, if you can't do anything with it, then bring it to the store and discuss about changing to portable ones.

6. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

It is the portable one.

I tried what was suggested and checked my MAC Hard Drive and that needed a repair so I repaired it then I formatted the External HD again and tried to back up but got the same thing happening again.

When I open the Disk Utility after the Time Machine backup has failed it keeps telling me that the External HD needs to be repaired every time but even if I repair it and run the backup again the same thing happens.

[​IMG]

It also says.

[​IMG]

7. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

Okay took my WD Elements back to the shop and they give me a refund.

They give me a refund and I paid an extra £5 for a 500GB Hard Drive. It plugs it isn't a USB powered one but I wasn't really bothered as its only getting used for backup so it will be left on my desk. I also got a free 4GB usb memory stick with the Hard Drive so I am just going to be using that to watch films on my PS3. The new Hard Drive I got works fine for backing up :p