Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory Jackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
My 2019 Macbook Pro is going in for a repair/service job - On apple's site it advises me to make a time machine backup to ensure the safety of all my files etc... I have already copied all my important documents, Logic Pro X projects, photo library onto an external ssd? I guess what I want to know is if it's absolutely essential for me to have to buy a larger ssd and do a time machine backup before it goes in for service (which is for a fan issue, I doubt the ssd or entire Mac will need replacing) and is there anything a time machine backup would save and just copying stuff over to an ssd wouldn't? It's going in tomorrow and now I'm getting worried!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
You really should make a bootable clone of your system prior to taking it in to Apple for any kind of repair. Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper are apps that can make a bootable clone. But in absence of that, a Time Machine total backup can be made.

If you feel comfortable with what you've already done to preserve your important stuff, press on.

I have to ask though.... Aren't you already making backups with Time Machine? What if your SSD crashes and you lose valuable data?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I agree, you definitely should have a bootable clone. If it were me, I would have at least two bootable clones, with one on an external SSD plus a time machine backup. I would then wipe the SSD for security reasons before taking the computer into the shop.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My 2019 Macbook Pro is going in for a repair/service job - On apple's site it advises me to make a time machine backup to ensure the safety of all my files etc... I have already copied all my important documents, Logic Pro X projects, photo library onto an external ssd? I guess what I want to know is if it's absolutely essential for me to have to buy a larger ssd and do a time machine backup before it goes in for service (which is for a fan issue, I doubt the ssd or entire Mac will need replacing) and is there anything a time machine backup would save and just copying stuff over to an ssd wouldn't? It's going in tomorrow and now I'm getting worried!
That support article you reference also has a link about making other types of backups before service too, so it wasn't intended that a TM backup was the only option:

Reactions: Boyd01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.