time machine explorer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edk, Sep 1, 2009.

1. edk macrumors regular

I'm going to do a full clean manual install, in the hope of getting SL setup better.

Rather than use the migration tool to pull back my user data (everything in User), can this be done manually as well? Can I just browse the TM backups and copy/paste back in?

Thnx.

2. edk thread starter macrumors regular

do i simply take the data from the folder with the latest time-stamp... or must i do some magic mix and matching?

thnx!

3. devburke Guest

Yeah, assuming you want files from the latest backup. The backup folders are all named by the date and time they’re from, and there’s also an alias at the bottom to the latest backup.

But you won’t have to do any complex mixing and matching or anything. Even though Time Machine only backs up the changed files, every file appears under every backup (not aliases, the actual files). For more info on that, go here and scroll down to the “Time Machine Internals” section. But basically all it means for you is yes, feel free to browse the latest backup and copy anything you need right from there.

Also, instead of browsing the backup folders, you could just launch the Time Machine GUI. Just find the file you want to restore, click “Restore”, and voila.

Screen shot 2009-09-01 at 4.31.45 PM.png

4. edk thread starter macrumors regular