Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djelite

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
NYC
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody else has encountered this issue and may be able to help.

(computer info: 15" MBP purchased July 2011, 2GHz, 8GB RAM, Lion 10.7.4)

I bought myself a new Seagate 1.5TB HD maybe a month and a half ago... I initially had it in two partitions and wanted to use one as a TM and the other as a separate backup for one of my external drives.

Once I did this, my initial TM backup went fine then I got an error saying:

Time machine could not complete the backup. An error occurred while creating the backup folder.

After this happens, I get the error constantly until I unplug the drive, but after the error, the drive now doesn't eject easily, the only way to do it is to force eject it.

Note that the first backup after plugging in the drive always works fine, this issue only happens on the subsequent backups.

I sort of lived with this until I had a little free time to work on it yesterday. I formatted the drive to a single partition (thinking this might be the issue). plugged it in, and ran the initial backup without issues. Even the subsequent backups seemed to work fine yesterday. Put it to sleep, woke up this morning and got the error as soon as my computer woke up.

Went into Disk Utility and hit verify disk and it said I had errors, but when I hit the repair disk button, I got this:

some information was unavailable during an internal lookup.

I had to force eject the drive again.

I'm going to try zeroing out the disk and formatting one more time, but does anyone else have any other suggestions, anything I should try? This is really frustrating!

-Nick

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Did you ever get this solved? I'm having the exact same symptoms as you - first backup always works fine after messing with the drive (unplugging, restarting, etc) but all subsequent ones fail to create backup folder and disk needs to be force ejected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.