Time Machine/External HD reinstall?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kevster89, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

Say my macbook pro crashes and I lose EVERYTHING. However, I have been saving everything to an external drive using the Time Machine app.

Can I use my external drive to get my computer to exactly the same state it was in before it crashed? By this I mean...

1) Desktop icons in the same places
    2) System preferences all the same
    3) Sticky notes all still exist and are laid out on the desktop just like previously before my hard drive crashed and I lost everything
    4) My dock layout is exactly the same... same apps, same locations in the dock
    5) Etc, etc.....

I have been wondering this for quite some time. Because I know you can restore the essentials (i.e. Word documents, many different saved files) but what about little things like the above mentioned items?

Thanks everyone! :):)

-Kevin

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Everything will be the same.

Well, nearly everything. The screen saver settings and system clock get reset to their defaults. One or two other minor things, too. Everything you mentioned will be the same, though.

3. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Awesome. Thanks for the info! On a side note, I see you're from Australia. I am studying abroad there this summer and can't wait!