Time Machine external HDD suggestions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marc4, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Marc4 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a 15" MBP and I'm loving every minute with it.
    Now, I'd like to buy an external drive to backup all my data using Time Machine.

Given that I have the 7200rpm 200GB drive, what would be a good drive for me?
    I heard 2.5x your internal drive, so 500GB, but what brand/model/type would you recommend?

Also, I'm wondering if I should go FireWire or USB. FireWire might be quicker but USB is more universal (i.e. sharing with Windows users).
    Does a FireWire 800 drive even exist?

Thanks in advance,
    -Marc

2. Snowbound macrumors regular

Oh man, the options you have. Hah. You can get a pretty good deal on 500gb Hard Drives now. Just check for deals at Best Buy, MicroCenter, or your store of choice. If you are using it exclusively for backing up a 200gb HD, 500 for your external is plenty, and I personally back up my 200gb HD on a 250gb HD. Firewire 800 certainly exists (see Western Digital Studio Edition for one) but again if you are using it exclusively as a backup drive, I would say it's unnecessary. If price is a factor, USB only is typically a noticeable amount cheaper. Hope it helps!

3. Marc4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply Snowbound.
    One thing I noticed is that the 500GB drives only come in 3.5" form factors, whereas you can get 320GB or lower in 2.5" drives... what a difference this makes in size & weight! :eek:
    Also, do all 3.5" drives have to be powered externally, or can they spin using USB/FW power only?

4. Snowbound macrumors regular

In my experience, I've only seen bus powered 2.5" ones. I have a USB/Firewire 400 120GB 2.5" and love it for the portability. It can be powered either by 2 USB plugs (one cable with three heads, one into the HDD and 2 into laptop USB ports) or the Firewire 400 port. Needless to say, I use it almost exclusively as firewire. However the USB option is nice for hooking it to friends computers if I want to share something with them.

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Time Machine hogs up a lot of space (well, as much space as you have)! You might need those extra GBs that the 500GB offers.

6. TtimeWithTy macrumors member

how does time machine work if say you leave your external in one set place, and unplug it, do a bunch of work and save it, and then re plug in the external? does it automatically check for updates to the system?

7. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

yup! time machine really is awesome, i just dont have an external at the moment :(

i think it does a backup every hour or something? correct me if im wrong

8. Marc4 thread starter macrumors member

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It doesn't periodic backups and it uses your Spotlight index to see if there are any changes

It does it hourly in the beginning but after a while it switches to daily (or when you plug it in).

Yes the WD portable drives are very nice.

10. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Don't buy WD.

I've been buying them forever and still haven't learned my lesson. They crash like always. Every year i think i replace a drive hehe.

I have an external that is giving me errors now. It's really frustrating.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well my WD from 6 years ago is still working without a hiccup.

12. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

I have to second that motion, with my WD drive from 3 years ago, still kicking today.

13. macbeast21 macrumors newbie

same as these guys. I have a WD from 8 years ago that still works like the day it was installed.

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

15. mynameisshawn macrumors member

I use a LaCie quad, sure usb works, but if you're impatient like me Firewire 800 is a blessing.