Time Machine external says corrupted. Need to wipe.......What..the..hell..do..I do...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by audirs5, Feb 1, 2016.

1. audirs5 macrumors 6502

So,

I have a 1tb external. portioned 500/500...

I have my Time machine on one portion, and then I have anything I want on the other. Honestly, the most important stuff I'd hate to lose.

Time Machine says the files are corrupted and can't create another backup.. So what do I do? I rely only care about the OTHER half. That, I CANT lose. Thoughts!?

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Open Disk Utility firstly check the health of the drive if it passes then click on time machine partition and format it. Once done proceed with allowing time machine to do a new backup all your files in other partition will be intact.

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Make sure you format the Time Machine partition as Apple Extended Format (Journalled).

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

1. Using one drive simultaneously for important files and backup isn't the best idea, at the very least consider using secondary drive where you can keep second copy of the data.

2. Depending on the severity of the file system error its possible Disk Utility may not be able to repair the volume. If that is the case you either need better software (DiskWarrior, Techtool Pro, etc.) or you need to erase the Time Machine volume after copying anything important from the Time Machine volume to another drive.

5. adib macrumors regular

adib

Mount it in read-only mode, copy all data out of the drive, and reformat. Usually if the built-in checks can't fix it, nothing can.

Btw, if you partitioned the drive, you can just reformat the Time Machine partition and keep the other one intact. Use Disk Utility for that.