Time Machine - External won't erase

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I have been having troubles with my external HD that I have set up with Time Machine. All of a sudden it won't back up because it says that there is not enough room. I did a disc verify and repair. I also deleted all the files off the TMHD but the trash won't empty. I also tried to erase by using disc utility, but I get an error.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What error, exactly? It would be helpful to know that.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From what I've read, you've already done a couple thing incorrectly. Before trying to delete info from the drive manually, did you turn off Time Machine in System Preferences? Also when clearing a Time Machine backup volume, it's better to format the drive in Disk Utility than to try to remove the Backups.backupdb folder and Empty Trash. Make certain Time Machine is OFF and then restart the computer before trying to format the drive.

4. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I had this problem and no matter what I tried I could not get it work so I tried Carbon Copy. Guess what the same problem so I tried SuperDuper. I have had no problems ever since. :)

5. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

the time machine is OFF. I am not sure how to format it. Can you help me? I think this sounds like a great idea.

6. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.
    Select the drive from the list on the left and click the Erase tab. Then you can choose any Security Options for the Erase procedure before starting.

7. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

I did that yesterday and got an error. Cannot unmount disc.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Option+control+click on the Finder icon in your Dock and select Relaunch. If that doesn't work, restart the computer and try using Disk Utility again.