Time Machine Extremely Slow

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ayeying, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I noticed after I upgraded to Mavericks, my time machine back up has been extremely slow. I tried deleting the partition off my external and recreating it but it's now nearly impossible to get a time machine back up.

Leaving it run overnight, I managed to copy 4GB out of 191GB...

Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Some users have reported if you go into System Preferences->Energy Saver and UNCHECK all the checked boxes. Then see with Time Machine is slow, Good Luck.

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How is the TM backup destination attached? Is it a direct USB connection?

Turn off Time Machine, then do a command-r boot to recovery then start Disk Utility and do a repair disk on your main drive. Afterwards quit Disk Utility and reboot.

Then run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    Once the Spotlight reindex completes, turn TM back on and try again.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Mine is the same thing. Brutally slow. Since upgrading I've been unable to back up my computer at all which is not good.

Over wifi and now directly connected to ethernet thru thunderbolt it did 9 gigs in 10 hours. :/

6. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

None of the fixes mentioned here worked for me

7. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Found a fix. Turns out it was the external drive itself. I formatted the entire drive (not partition) and repartitioned it. Works fine now. Was able to back up 190 GB within an hour.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Slow on "Cleaning Up"

I'm also having speed issues with Time Machine. It probably started with OS X 10.7 or 10.8; it seemed as if backing up even a few megabytes (less than 100) could take close to an hour. I thought that it was my drive, but speed tests indicated that the drive was functioning properly. Reformatting didn't help, and neither did changing how the drive was connected to my computer (through an Apple Cinema display vs. directly). It was a nuisance, but it was workable.

Recently I added a second drive to my Time Machine setup. This is done through a built-in feature of OS X, whereby OS X will rotate backups between the drives (backups are made each hour, each drive is used every other hour). This has seemingly wrecked Time Machine. Backups are still sluggish regardless of the drive being used, but I've noticed that it always seems to be "cleaning up." This has resulted in missed backups that can occur for as much as four hours (and possibly longer, but that's the longest that I've observed).

The second drive generally seems to be the one that gets stuck cleaning, but diagnostics indicate that its performance is slightly better than the first drive. Of note, I have Time Machine set to encrypt backups.

At this point I'm going to try working through a few things, from using one drive at a time and seeing if the behaviors change, to decrypting the volumes and seeing if it makes a difference.

I'm posting just to see if anyone has gone through anything similar, and if anyone has any advice for other things to try and check.

9. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I found a fix to my problem. Apparently spotlight indexing was causing the issue. I noticed every time I plugged in my external HDD it would start indexing all over again. I decided to exclude the external drive from indexing and all of a sudden my time machine is backed up and useful again.

10. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

I've got a half dozen externals and had to exclude all of them from Spotlight indexing to keep the system from bogging down. Time Machine is certainly very nimble and quick. I don't use Spotlight searches anyway so no loss.

11. Paul Henry macrumors newbie

My old Time Capsule works better than my new one

I have an old 1Tb TC to which I recently backed up my new Air overnight in a few hours, via wifi, without problems. I have now bought a new-style 2Tb TC as I also keep backups for 2 other users' Airs (wife, son) and don't want to end up running out of space as time goes on.

The new TC started to back up my Air quite quickly, I left my Air in the same room overnight to finish the job and by morning it was far from completion. So now I'm trying some of the fixes described above to try and resolve the situation.

I want my son when he visits to be able to back up his machine quickly.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Always worth remembering that indexing will run that way....I exclude my externals from both TM and indexing...I have a total of 8TB of storage attached to my iMac...one Pegasus R4 and a 4TB USB 3 drive which is a mirror image of the media stored on the Prmidr...both are obviously excluded from TM backups.

I've noticed no issue in Msvericks with my backups which are done to a TC..both my iMac and rMBP have been backing up without problems.

13. Paul Henry macrumors newbie

Frequent error message samples

Before I do any repairs to my hard drive or my new Time Capsule I want to get a full backup onto my old Time Capsule. That is now taking forever to do not a lot, so I waded through vast numbers of Console messages and picked out a few typical ones that keep repeating.

Here they are:

Google Chrome Helper[4060]: Process unable to create connection because the sandbox denied the right to lookup com.apple.coreservices.launchservicesd and so this process cannot talk to launchservicesd.

Google Chrome Helper[298]: CoreText CopyFontsForRequest received mig IPC error (FFFFFECC) from font server

com.apple.audio.DriverHelper[199]: The plug-in named AirPlay.driver requires extending the sandbox for the IOKit user-client class IOBluetoothDeviceUserClient.

Advice and hints welcome!

14. Paul Henry macrumors newbie

Problem solved I think - to Time Capsule or Machine slow with Mavericks

I'm not sure which of these solved the problem, but this is my method that I have gleaned from different sources:

0. (Optional) Disk Utility: Erase Time Machine Backup Disk.

1. Delete the file:
    Macintosh HD/ Library/ Preferences/ com.apple.TimeMachine.plist.

2. Rename the backup drive using Airport Utility.

3. Safe reboot the Mac (hold down the Shift key), then normal reboot.

4. Restart Time Machine and assign the newly-named backup drive.

5. (Optional) Turn off Google Chrome.

6. Start the backup.

Essentially, the procedure removes all TM references to the backup drive and reassigns them as if it was a new drive.