Time machine fail!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by matt-h, Sep 8, 2009.

1. matt-h macrumors newbie

hi all, my first post on here and wasn't sure whether it was a hardware or software problem but here goes...
    Recently had a costly hard drive replacement which was the result of the mac book pro refusing to boot up! I have, however, got a external hard drive which uses time machine to back up all of my documents. while it seemed to work perfectly, when i really needed it to work it has let me down! It doesn't display any of my photos or music or docs.
    i believe it could be a problem due to the fact it I've changed hard drive!
    thanks very much for any guidance you could give because I'm quite worried now!
    p.s its a intel mac if thats info is needed

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

AIUI, when you reinstall, there is an option to tell the installer to use TM to restore from.

Try here point 14 looks like you need to do an erase and install
    "or do an Erase and Install of Leopard. After your Mac restarts, you'll have an opportunity to transfer from your TM backups"
    then it goes into detail on what to do.

3. matt-h thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i think that was mentioned by my uncle but the problem i face is that the OS was already reinstalled when i got my laptop back from apple after its fix. im looking for a manual reinstall of my old laptop! thing is ive lost all my keychain, email and icam setup, pictures, music the lot... and i really cant be bothered to manually fix the lot (more to the point i got my dad ranting and raving that he wants his photos back which i just cant find on the hard drive yet appeared to be there previously on time machine)

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

5. matt-h thread starter macrumors newbie

nope migration assistant encounters problems.
    :confused:
    sick to death of this tbh especially when i can see myself getting blamed for the time machine loosing the photos

6. devburke Guest

Time machine didn’t “loose” your photos. They’re stored on the Time Machine drive, not your computer’s hard drive. If you got a new hard drive, boot from your Leopard / Snow Leopard install DVD and do a full restore from there.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Its all covered on that note I posted, read it.