Time machine failed... how to copy from old drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Breravin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Breravin, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

Breravin macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So, I upgraded my hard drive, and after going through the install, it appears time machine has not done what it promised. When I attempted to restore to the new drive (twice now), absolutely 0 applications were restored. Not even OS programs such as safari and time machine...

So now what? What is the best way to get everything from my old (now external) drive onto my new (now internal) drive? I read a bit about CCC, but I'm confused if it will be possible to clone from external to internal. (i.e. would I boot from the external drive and install it there? Or install it on my internal (which currently doesn't even have an OS)).

I'd really appreciate some help. I'm dead tired, so I'll check replies I the morning asap.

Very bummed about time machine's failure...

Ps. I really don't want to have to put the old drive back in if possible

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Norton Ghost is not available for OSx; I checked the norton system requirements and there is no indication of it being available for OSx.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Question, how did you try restoring from your backup to the new hard drive? If you reinstalled OS X in the new drive and tried to restore from Time Machine via Finder, you're doing it wrong. You can do one of two things instead: 1) Start up from your OS X Install DVD, and from the Utilities menu in the installer, choose Restore System from Backup. It'll first prompt you to choose your backup volume, then the specific backup date you want to restore from, then finally the destination. 2) During the setup assistant you will have been presented an option to migrate from a backup, and choosing that would bring over your user accounts, library, applications, other files and folders.

4. Breravin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I appreciate the replies, but I actually got this taken care of before anyone here responded - so I didn't see these - hence the lack of updates.

Long story short, I used time machine the correct way (as you described) 2 times without success. I ended up borrowing an enclosure and copying my old hdd with CCC - worked great.