Time machine first backup painfully slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by likemyorbs, Jun 24, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

So i have finally decided to start using time machine instead of manually hooking up a hard drive and cloning my internal HD with disk utility. I hooked up my external HD to my airport extreme. Everything works as it should, my only problem is that this initial backup has been running for about 15 hours so far and only copied 81GB out of 188GB. Is it normal for it to be this slow or is there something i should try to adjust that might speed it up? Someone help me before i cry. I really don't want to leave my macbook open for the next 2 days for this backup.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

For my initial backup, I hooked up to the Ethernet port so I could transfer everything over Gigabit.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What if i just skip the ethernet and hook the hard drive to my macbook? Is that a possibility or does it have to be done through the router?

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

my initial backup took about 2 days

just start it when you are going to be in the house and leave it running till it finishes

any particular reason why you dont want to leave your macbook on to do the initial backup ?

5. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not really, it's just annoying. I could have cloned my hard drive and been done with it in 2 hours.

6. singlestick macrumors regular

I don't have this device, but am thinking about it for the future. Can you easily do a first, full backup via cable, and then do future incremental backups wirelessly?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

UPDATE: I've connected my airport extreme via ethernet to my macbook. Now it says it's indexing backup, whatever that means. It's been doing it for the last 15 minutes, i hope it doesn't start the whole backup over when it finally starts and just continues where it left off.

9. hans1972 macrumors regular

You can stop and resume Time Machine

You don´t have to wait for Time Machine to finish. Just stop it and resume it later.

10. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

It will continue from where it left off. Don't sweat it.:D