Time Machine for new MacBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MitchellMck, Dec 1, 2011.

1. MitchellMck macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm getting a new MacBook Pro next month and I'm planning on restoring it via my current Time Machine backup. But I've came across a few people that have said doing a Time Machine restore will effect the performance of my new Mac. Is this true and to what extent will this effect my New MacBook?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I always reinstall the OS and apps when getting a new Mac. Back in the day prior to Lion, I was able to customize OSX's install and not select components I had no use for. Now that option is gone, and presumably the need to reinstall the OS. In any case I prefer starting off fresh with a new computer but that's just me

3. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Any idea how I would go about transferring the iTunes Library so it will still contain all the music, apps, podcasts etc ready to sync?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you are having some sort of problem with your current system, it is a waste of time going through all the trouble of a fresh install. Just use Migration Assistant to bring everything over and be done with it. If after doing that you detect some specific problem you think can be solved by a fresh install, you can still go back and do it.

5. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Yeah think I'll do that and just restore it when I get it and as you said if I come across any problems it's always there to try again.