Time Machine formatting on USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jelite, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I've just made some space on a USB passport drive and made a FAT32 partition in windows with partition magic (i already have files on it that i needed to keep). Now should i let time machine reformat, it'll only wipe the partition right? Or should i format it with disk utility?

I'm thinking i can let time machine do it's thing but just double checking as i've managed to wipe a whole hard drive of data before now trying to make new partitions.:D

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I don't think Time machine will use a direct connected FAT32 partition. I think you need to have a HFS+ Journaled partition for it to use it. At least that is what I would try.

I'm sure you know this, but be careful while you are in Disk Utility if you have a partition with data you want to keep that is already on the drive...

4. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

It allows me to select the partition i click use for backup and it gives me this.

[​IMG]

But im too scared to click it.:D

5. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've used disk utility and it's all good, i think that window would have done the same thing (format to HFS) but i'll let someone else confirm it to be sure.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Looks like Time Machine may be smart enough to do that for you also. Glad it worked out for you.

Using Disk Utility on a drive that has other good partitions always freaks me out too...

7. Jelite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers, i didn't fancy backing up what would of been 30 dvds worth of files, no hot and cold sweats this time.:D