Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syavno

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Hi Folks!
I have a mid-2008 (June) MBP 15". Just upgraded to SL last night. I am having a serious issue with time machine. I've been using it with the same external HD since I bought my mac last year. No issues up until I installed SL last night. This morning (my first backup since upgrading), time machine started backing up (~ 9Gb) but just stops at around 300Mb. The clock keeps spinning, but there is no change in the amount backed up.

I'm reading that other folks are having this issue as well. Has anyone figured something out?
I've run disk repair (nothing found), restarted my mac & external HD (several times each), and cancelled and restarted the time machine backup (several times). Each time it freezes at a different amount (i.e. 34Mb, 284.2Mb, etc...).

Any help, would be appreciated! :apple:

syavno

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Can anyone confirm if 10.6.1 fixes the time machine issues? There is no mention of time machine on Apple's release info page.

Julay

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2007
Greater Philadelphia
I have the same problem, except mine hangs at about 4.05 GB. I have a 15"MBP 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 3 GB of RAM. I upgraded from 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. The external drive is continually active while my MBP shows no disk activity in the Activity Monitor, nor does Time Machine seem to be using any CPU.:mad:

salimbag

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
Freezing self correcting.

This is my experience on three core duo laptops, one with FW and two with USB.

After the initial main backup ALL of our machines froze and glitched and complained through the first two or three incremental backups. Then they were fine, and have been ever since. We had the same experience on Leopard and SL

Our machines are all laptops so we are not doing timed backups but just occasionally hooking up an external drive and hitting "backup now."

I don't know if this is typical or just a weird coincidence. But my experience is that if you are having problems and you are just beginning with your incremental backups, stumble and crash through the first few attempts and then it may start working just fine..

That's how it went for us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.