time machine freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrunious, Mar 19, 2009.

1. andrunious macrumors member

so im new to mac and just started using time machine. i've been able to restore already from a backup and love it but whenever i go into the actual time machine app, i get no response. i see the "galaxy" moving in the background and see all the folders but i can't click anything. and the only way i've found to escape the app is the cmd+opt+esc combo. is there something i'm just not seeing here? thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

How exactly did you restore from a backup without entering the Time Machine application? If you actually pulled a file from the Backups.backupdb folder on the Time Machine drive you've kind of shot yourself in the foot because you modified the backup image. This has the proper steps for recovering files/folders. If you haven't already backed up too much to the drive I would suggest erasing the external drive and starting over just to avoid any issues down the line.

3. andrunious thread starter macrumors member

i restored from the backup by inserting restore disc and under Go--Restore from backup. But i'll try to do another backup of everything and see if maybe time machine changes. thanks.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I think you have to clear out all your time machine data and reinitialize it. There is a thread somewhere in the forums on this I followed at one point that helped me.

5. andrunious thread starter macrumors member

cool, i'll try to search a little more, thanks for tips