Time Machine frequent hard drive access and error

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Techcomm, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Techcomm macrumors newbie

First I would like to sincerely thank everyone on this forum for their time. I have been using windows from day one and have just switched about a month ago. I purchased an early 2008 24" iMac 2.8Ghz a month ago. It is awesome. This forum is amazing and was a great help in deciding to make the switch.

Two days ago hooked up an iomega ultramax 500 drive as my time machine drive. Installation was a breeze.

I notice it accesses the drive quite frequently. (Not just for hourly backups). Is this normal?
    Also, I just received this error: "Time Machine error- Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to backup volume"
    I clicked ok and then did a "backup now" which ran fine. Wonder what happened.

Should I be concerned about these two issues?
    Thank you so much for your help.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How is the drive formatted? (Did you wipe it before configuring Time Machine?)

Has the error recurred?

3. Techcomm thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive is an iomega UltraMax 500GB and was formatted HFS+ for mac out of the box. I just plugged it in via firewire and it installed perfectly. It ran a full backup and has been running hourly backups since then with no problems (two days).
    I was just concerned about the error and the more frequent than hourly disc access.
    Thanks for your help. I appreciate your time.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It's possible that Spotlight is just indexing. Next time the drive starts to go, take a look at the magnifying glass on the far right side of the menu bar. If there's a flashing dot in the middle of the lens, that means it's indexing.

5. Techcomm thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to be accessing the drive several times an hour. No flashing dot in the magnifying glass. Maybe this is normal?