Time Machine from MBP to MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by foulmouthedleon, Jul 25, 2011.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I’m sure this question has been posted multiple times and after a quick search I really couldn’t find what I was looking for.

So I’ll get right to it.

I’ve got a 2011 MBP and will be getting a new MBA later today (well, pending that my ebayer pays me on time). I’ve never transferred information using Time Machine, but I did do a Time Machine backup of my MBP. Is all that I need to do is use that as a base to transfer to the MBA?

The part that worries me is that I’ve got Photoshop/Outlook and a couple of other programs on there, so I don’t know if I’ll need to re-activate them or not? I’ve also got about 80,000 emails that I’d be very upset to lose, too.

So my question is will the Time Machine backup I did essentially make the MBA the EXACT same (in regards to information) as my current MBP or do I need to do anything else special that I haven’t read about/don’t know about?

2. codymac macrumors 6502

Pretty much. I've used this method to move to a new MBP on a couple of occasions.

3. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Ok, good to hear. So, in essence, it's like taking the HDD (SSD) out of my MBP and putting it into the MBA? Obviously if I could do that, I would, but with the MBA's it's not possible.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, if you check everything to transfer using migration assistant it will be exactly the same as your MBP.