Time Machine from MBP to New Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dubaimac, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dubaimac macrumors regular

Can I expect any issues from using my MBP unibody time machine files to restore to a new Mac Pro, I want to send everything if possible, I have removed all the crap from my MBP so it is just how I would like it, anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

the migration assistant might be better, to keep you OSX in better shape on the new MBP.

3. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure if you understood me, I have a time machine backup with everything I want FROM my MBP. I get my new octo mac pro in August, I want to use my time machine backup from the MBP to restore to the Mac Pro. So MBP to Mac Pro.

Does Migration Assistant take everything?

thanks for the prompt reply!!!

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

sorry to misread your post.
    But yes Migration Assistant will take everything from each user you migrate from one Mac to the other.
    You use a firewire cable or ethernet to connect the 2 macs and you are done.

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

just be warned this may take hours and hours, my 115GB took overnight from time capsule to MP

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The Migration Assistant is amazing... it will copy settings, files, email, accounts, your keychain, and even applications over from one computer to your new computer. I've not tried to migrate stuff using a backup but I can't imagine it would be easier than the Migration Assistant! :)

To me, this is one of OSX's key competitive advantages over Windows. Migrating to a new machine is an onerous, tedious, and manually intesive task on Windows.

7. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I did, I went from a MBP > MP, everything was just fine, the only issue I had was that I forgot on my MBP I had fan control installed and it copied over the program and the settings, so I thought my MP was about to lift off of the ground since the setting set the fans at a minimum of 1500rpm, haha, so just be wary of that, and all is well!

-Andrew

8. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

Now that would be cool, a mag lev mac pro, I know its physically impossible (at the moment), but could you imagine it floating perfectly still by the side of your desk?

Thanks for all of your answers, migration it is!!!

9. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Maybe from XP. But Vista transfers are fairly easy process. I have had to do this a few times at work now as we have 6 months notebook upgrade programs and it was painless there as well. However, it does not transfer applications for legal reasons.

10. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

How do you do this on Vista? When I've installed Vista in the past, I've seen no option to transfer all my stuff from another machine... but maybe I'm missing it. Does it transfer Outlook PST files and everything? I need to look into this. :)

11. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I would use the migration assistant, just in case. It is the safer option.

12. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yes, how does a time machine backup differentiate between user settings and system files (many of which could be driver related or system specific and actually cause problems on the wrong hardware)?

13. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

I had no problems, I did a clean install of OS X, then restored from Time Machine, it doesn't overwrite any of the drivers and such, it only pulls user stuff, so Applications etc. not system settings, drivers etc.

14. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I see... sounds the same as the migration assistant then.

15. hehejames macrumors member

115GB for overnight? was it via USB? FW? via 10/100 Ethernet? GE? I recently moved 130GB worth of data from MBP to MP in 3 hours or less and that was doing it manually by hand (cherry picking my directories) all via GE to GE.

16. hehejames macrumors member

As mentioned by Andrew just do a restore from Time Machine during the OS/X installation (not sure if your OS/X is already configured, but if not this method would work nicely).

If your machine is already up configured/booted with your username and etc. then just restore your goodies from migration assistance.

Or... the third alternative is to cherry pick what you really want/need and move it manually off your Time Machine image.