Time Machine Functionality

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jroug, Oct 24, 2014.

1. jroug macrumors member

Recently had a storm here and fearing a lightning strike, I closed all my programs, shutdown my new MacPro and after it was full down, unplugged it.

On the way I must not have saved one of my documents because I now can't find it. So I want to use Time Machine, which I've never used before.

I click on the TM icon at the top of the screen and enter TM, where I navigate to finder for the last save before the storm, but then I cannot access any of the functionality of finder by clicking on, say, the documents folder.

At the bottom of the screen there's a "restore" button, but I'm concerned if I hit it, I'll lose everything I've done since Wednesday night, which would be just as bad as losing this document.

Can anyone guide me through this?

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

No worries, if you restore a file that already exist in your HDD. It will ask you if you want keep original, keep both, or replace it.

And there is no complicated functions in TM. You just need to select the date (or time) on the RHS time line. Choose the file(s) you want, and then click restore.