Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
I'm trying to make the 1st backup of my data , but time machine seems to be getting stuck after just 87 MB or so.

Any ideas why this is happening? The VERY first time through, I cancelled the backup, and I'm not sure if that messed up time machine...

any suggestions/fixes?

Also, the initial backup is 150GB... how long should I expect that to take over a USB 2.0 connection?

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I'm trying to make the 1st backup of my data , but time machine seems to be getting stuck after just 87 MB or so.

Any ideas why this is happening? The VERY first time through, I cancelled the backup, and I'm not sure if that messed up time machine...

any suggestions/fixes?

The first thing that comes to my mind is that the external hard drive is messed up somehow. I've had some issues where Time Machine got stuck like that on an initial backup, and it turned out that the drive was to blame. You could try using Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) and repairing the disk you're using for backups.

Also, the initial backup is 150GB... how long should I expect that to take over a USB 2.0 connection?
Um, a while. I forget how long it took me to back up 23 GB of data. Your best bet is to run the initial backup overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.