Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
For some reason yesterday after rebooting for a bootcamp session, the time on the menu bar wasnt displayed properly. When I went to adjust the time in sys pref it magically fixed itself. Now though time machine does not display the time of the latest or oldest backup. It still seems to be backing up though.

Has anyone encountered this little glitch before?

TM Screenshot.jpg

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Something similar to this happened to me. I was messing around with the TM settings, without my (external) backup drive connected, and TM 'forgot' when the oldest and most recent backups were, just like in your picture. I had selected 'Change Disk...' by accident, but re-selected the disk that was already the backup disk.

I was worried that when I re-connected my backup drive TM was going to start a whole new backup, but it didn't. It backed up normally (a small, incremental backup), and the 'oldest' and 'latest' values were restored. Now, with the external backup drive not connected, I have dates in the 'oldest' and 'latest' fields, but the 'available' field is blank, which makes sense.

Do you know that TM has done a backup since you noticed the problem? What happens if you select 'backup now' -- does that bring the dates back?

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
Something similar to this happened to me. I was messing around with the TM settings, without my (external) backup drive connected, and TM 'forgot' when the oldest and most recent backups were, just like in your picture. I had selected 'Change Disk...' by accident, but re-selected the disk that was already the backup disk.

I was worried that when I re-connected my backup drive TM was going to start a whole new backup, but it didn't. It backed up normally (a small, incremental backup), and the 'oldest' and 'latest' values were restored. Now, with the external backup drive not connected, I have dates in the 'oldest' and 'latest' fields, but the 'available' field is blank, which makes sense.

Do you know that TM has done a backup since you noticed the problem? What happens if you select 'backup now' -- does that bring the dates back?

It does create the backup, but it does not restore the date fields.
Time machine ran all night long and created backups on the hour.
I can navigate through the Time Machine disk and see all of these backups, and can also restore things successfully. The dates just do not seem to want to show up.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
It does create the backup, but it does not restore the date fields.
Time machine ran all night long and created backups on the hour.
I can navigate through the Time Machine disk and see all of these backups, and can also restore things successfully. The dates just do not seem to want to show up.

That seems very strange. I wish I knew what to tell you.

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
That seems very strange. I wish I knew what to tell you.

OS X has been.. what i consider unstable. It seems after doing some research, some people have been reinstalling 10.5.2 after buying a new macbook... so thats what im going to do.

I dont have aton of things on this machine except my Itunes Library that i have backed up on a network drive.

Ill have to keep my eyes peeled to see if anyone else runs into this problem or comes up with another solution.

Siriuz

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
I had the same problem (leopard 10.5.2). I went to Change Disk and simply selected my backup-disk again and things went back to normal. It didn't need to re-backup anything.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
OS X has been.. what i consider unstable. It seems after doing some research, some people have been reinstalling 10.5.2 after buying a new macbook... so thats what im going to do.

Is this akin to downgrading from Vista to XP :D
Sorry but I just had to post this.
Alan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.