Time Machine Half-Working on a Cloned System on a New Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by qacjared, Feb 2, 2008.

1. qacjared macrumors regular

For some background. My first mac was a Core 2 Macbook (Late 2006) which I loved. I upgraded it to leopard without issue in October and have been backing up with Time Machine since then. In the meantime I dropped it on accident on the top of the lip while open from 6 feet in the air. It slowly broke to the point where it became unusable and was literally falling apart. Since it was out of warranty and was going to get a new mac for college anyway I bought a new Santa Rosa Late 2007 Macbook earlier in the week and simply replaced the 80gb Hard Drive with the 120Gb hard drive I had in the old one. Everything was great I had a new computer with out having to install a thing.

However my joy was soon ended when I connected my external HD that had my TimeMachine backup volume on it and discovered that the Volume Icon was just the Generic USB one. I looked on the Time Machine Preference Pane and discovered that it recognized the drive and had a next backup time. However every hour when Time Machine tries to backup it always falls with the same error. "The Backup Volume could not be found." Being the adventurous type I clicked Time Machine in the dock. It worked. I am able to restore stuff from my Time Machine Backup but not to backup things to it from the date my old notebook broke.

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this problem?

Attached Files:

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I would guess that the name of your machine (it's hostname) has changed between the old machine and the new one, thus it's getting confused about where it's backups should be.

Browse to the Time Machine drive in Finder, there should be a folder called 'Backups.backupdb' in there there should be one folder with the name of your machine. Check that matches the 'Computer Name' set in 'System Preferences / Sharing'.

3. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

Update

My Mac at-least recognizes the drive as a Time Machine Backup since its giving it its own special Icon right?

Attached Files:

4. qacjared thread starter macrumors regular

It does

It defiantly does

Attached Files: