Time Machine Hard drive for iMac issue

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ks-man, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I use an external hard drive for my time machine backups on my iMac. Recently Time Machine stopped working (exclamation point on the TM icon) and it says Backup Delayed. I don't see the external hard drive on my desktop and can't remember if I used to. I did try connecting it to another computer (MBA) and still didn't see it show up on the desktop. I can hear the drive spin up when it is connected.

I can see it in my Disk Utility (both verify and repair disk are available). For the mount point it says "not mounted". Can somebody recommend what steps I should take to try and fix this issue? I'd prefer not to have to format it (and lose all my old TM backups but I will if that is necessary. If this is a sign of hard drive failure I guess it would be better to just get a new one rather than trying to repair it since this is a drive to backup my whole computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. andydckent macrumors member

3. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Is it a Time Capsule, and have you just upgraded to Mountain Lion? If so, search the ML subforum, a few folks are having problems with TCs.

4. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it is an Iomega USB HD (I think a Prestige).

I have not updated to Mountain Lion on this computer. It is still on Lion. Was working fine and then I noticed the exclamation point and see it hasn't backed up in over a week.