time machine & hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by niemo810, Jan 20, 2008.

1. niemo810 macrumors member

Hi, I recently upgraded to Leopard, and I love time machine, but there is one quirk that I want to get ironed out.

After a backup, my external hard drive shuts down after about 10 minutes of inactivity. When it's time for a backup again, my drive has to spin back up. I hate to have it go through so many cycles, because a) it's bad for the drive and b) the sound is annoying when I'm trying to sleep.

Is there a way to keep the drive running 24/7?

I'm not sure if this is controlled by OSX or by the hard drive enclosure. Any help is appreciated.

-Rob

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

its not bad for the drive. there's a reasn why they have it spin down.

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

What's the hard drive?

There is a bit in energy saver (under main preferences) which says something like 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible'. Is that ticked?

Perhaps it applies to external drives also.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

System Preferences > Energy Saver, Check box at the bottom.

Not sure if it applies to external drives though.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im fairly sure it doesnt work

6. niemo810 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, I tried un-ticking that box, but it only applies to the internal hard disk(s). Looks like I might just have to live with it... Ugh.

If it helps, it's a generic USB to SATA enclosure.

7. bhjs1 macrumors newbie

you want it to spin down

If your hard drive didn't spin down, it would wear out very quickly. Also, do not check the don't put hard disks to sleep thing, as this will wear out your internal hard drive as well... there really isn't much to be done except maybe moving the hard disk to another room and getting an extra long usb cable?

8. Eluzion macrumors 6502

Hard drives spinning on/off is one of the worst things for a hard drive. This was one of the downfalls of the hybrid hard drives Samsung released. While they save a lot of battery life and access times are quick since you're reading mostly from flash memory, the disks would turn off and only spin up about once every hour which, like I mentioned, does not help with the longevity of the hard drive.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

umm ive got a firewire external hard disk and it never spins down when i have the "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" box unchecked.