Time Machine has been going for 6 hours now...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by junker, Jan 31, 2009.

1. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I had to delete my previous back up files as I believe they were corrupted (it spent 14 hours backing up 26.3GB of 37.1GB and seemed stuck on 26.3 for the last six hours.)

So now, my time machine has been "backing up" for six hours and the external drive it's supposedly writing to, shows no change in GB amount used.

The folders, files and such that it's backing up, are equal to about 200 GB. So, I expected a slow initial back up but this is kind of weird that no change is showing to the final amount of used GB space on the 500 GB External HDD.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

TIA

2. reubs macrumors 68000

Is it possible that your back-up drive is failing? You could stop the back-up and verify the disk to make sure you're not going to lose all of your back-up data, too.

3. superwoman macrumors regular

Checks the logs. In particular, "/var/log/system.log". That may give you a clue.

4. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

I'm not sure what I'm looking at when it comes to the logs. And I don't see those that you reference?

I hope its not a failing HDD - it's less than a year old...though I know this can sometimes be irrelevant. I guess I will stop this and check it out, but I know from previous experience that it wont stop -that I will have to just yank the USB out.

I look at it this morning it says " Backing up 0KB of 195.8GB" And when I open the drive it still indicates that nothing has been added by virtue of no change in GB size.

5. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

I verified and everything turned up fine. I verified both the volume and the disk itself.

So the total time I had spent trying to do this backup was around 15 hours of copying files - with no discernible change to the disk. Was I just impatient and maybe should have waited another 10-15 hours for it to complete the 195GB Backup?

6. jasonycurtis macrumors newbie

Did you say you were doing this through a usb? That would explain the long wait on a 195gb back up. Ethernet is preferred on the initial. Especially when that large. You may have one huge wait with a usb transfer.

7. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Yeah I know, but this was got a cheap price, so I expected to get a slower transfer speed, but after 15 hours I get 0 KB of 195GB transferred?

See, this has worked on this drive before (until recently - when a back up failed to back up in this similar fashion so I wiped the drive to start all over...) now it appears to not even do the initial backup!

Until a few days ago I had been using it since the middle of last year, when I hooked the drive up for it's weekly (although it apparently had been longer (Dec 17th according to the nearest file I could access in TM) and it just hung on the back up for 12 hours doing the same thing.

8. pprior macrumors 65816

No, something is wrong. It shouldn't take near that long. I've backed up 3-4 times that much in as much time. If you click on the time machine icon while it's spinning it will give you a status, and that should be constantly moving upwards.

And ethernet is not faster than USB.

9. nintendude macrumors 6502

go to Console and click on File then System Log. does it mention anything like node requires deep transversal?

10. junker thread starter macrumors 6502

junker

Not that but I have this one a few hundred times:

(Error) Import: importer:0x889400 Importer start failed for -2 (kr:268435459 (ipc/send) invalid destination port)