Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Ok, this is kind of scary.

Tonight, I plugged in my external drive and tried to do a Time Machine backup as I normally do. I noticed, however, that it was unusually fast.

Checking the console log, it shows it finished fine, but only backed up a few KB. This was NOT right, asI had just downloaded a few songs. Checking in the history for my backups, it was clear it was NOT backing them up, even if I forced a backup - it simply thought they were, but it wasn't transferring any files. I disconnected the drive.

So I restarted my computer and reconnected the eternal drive. Time machine went about doing it's thing. Whew, I thought - the pull down menu said backing up x of 594 MB... Looks ok, right?

WRONG. After it got to 594MB, it continued upwards. "Backing up 800MB of 800MB" - the numbers were BOTH increasing. It got to "3GB of 3GB", before I decide to cancel the backup. Something was not right. Then as it canceled, it started deleting something off the external - no backups were being erased, but something was clearing out space - it continued to free up. Time Machine ended up clearing up over 40GB of space, without removing any backups. ?!?!?

I started the backup manually again, and again, it's moving both eh current and maximum values at eh same time. I suspect it will probably redo that 40GB. It might be ok, it might not. I have no idea. And having no idea means having no trust. In my backup system.

This frightens me.

I looked back in my backup history by looking at the backup.backup files - it was clear it had NOT been backing up for the past few days, perhaps even a week, even though it was telling me I HAD been backing up. How can I trust this?

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
I guess not many people care that time machine may appear to be working when it's not.

Anyway, I set it up to do what it wanted overnight and it seemed to do a proper backup 115 gb, nearly half my capacity. I have no idea what is in that 115 gb. Man, I wish timetracker worked for snow leopard. It didn't fill in blanks, so despite having files created in the past week, none of those are in my backups save for this last one.

When I enter iPhoto an use time machine a lot of thumbs are missing. I rbuilt my iPhoto library and did a new time machine backup and it backed up a new 38 gb. No idea what is goin on really.

Maybe it's time to just go buy a new drive an start a fresh time machine.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
A few others including me have had the iPhoto/Time machine problem too. I dont think there is a solution yet. Link 1
Link 2

Could be related, might not be. Try a restart.

I have also noticed that the images in side of Time Machine while running iPhoto are mysteriously blank.

I noticed when viewing a particular album, all the images along the left column were just blank tiles. I'm guessing it's something to do with Time Machine pulling the back up thumbnails or something - i.e. the displaying of, not the files themselves. Hopefully :/

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
In regards time machine backups with my iPhoto library i have found that it just doesn't back up some of my newer photos even though it thinks it has. I always turned my mac off at night so im not sure about the restart thing. My iMac is dead now but thankfully before it died i kept a separate partition with my photos on so when i get my new mac hopefully everything will be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.