Time Machine has Disappeared

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Needful1, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Needful1 macrumors newbie

Okay. I'm a relatively new MacBook user, so I hope the problem is me, and not the computer. Last month, my hard drive died. I just replaced it and reloaded it with the OSX (10.4.11) disks I'd purchased earlier from Apple.

Everything seemed fine, except I cannot locate Time Machine among the applications. It's not listed on the system profiler either. It worked fine earlier when I'd bought and loaded the same OSX package on my old hard drive. Without TM all my data is sitting unretrieved on my external hard drive. Help please!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Wait, did you have Leopard (10.5) or Tiger (10.4) on the computer before? Time Machine is only a feature in 10.5, so if you have 10.4 installed you will not have Time Machine.

3. Needful1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Machine and multiple versions of OSX

Thanks. That's very useful. What's really odd is that my system profile says I have 10.4.11 loaded on my new hard drive, but the sticker on the box of my OSX package purchased from Apple says "new" version 10.5.4. And I know I had TM before my HD crashed. Is there some safeguard in the OSX that doesn't allow me to load the "new" version multiple times?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, Apple doesn't do anything like that. If you have a Leopard disk, it will install Leopard if you use it. I would suggest seeing if you can find the install disk that has "10.5" labeled on it and use that. If you want to use Time Machine, then you'll need to install the OS using that disk.

5. mainomega macrumors 6502

Im guessing your mac came with tiger (10.4)... you purchased leopard (10.5) but stored the tiger cd's in your leopard box. You have to find where the leopard disk went.

6. Needful1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Found it!

Wow. I guess Needful1 is an appropriate name for me. You were right. I'd stuck the old disks on the Leopard box. After another look, I've found the correct disk. Case closed. Thanks.