Time Machine HD causes computer to reboot into recovery?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dictoresno, Dec 17, 2013.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

If i keep my 250 GB external drive plugged in (exclusively for Time Machine backing up) and go to reboot my computer, I notice it always reboots into the recovery console. I need to manually unplug it from the USB port, reboot again, so it goes into my normal desktop. Is this a feature of TM drives? I thought it will only go into the recovery console on a reboot if i hold the command key.

Basically, i would like to keep backing up to the drive, but not have to unplug it every single time i reboot the computer. Am i missing something like a setting or is this normal since its a backup drive, it assumes i want recovery?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not normal and it should not be happening. Start the machine then click the Apple at the top left then System Preferences... then open the Startup Disk pane and in that pane make sure the correct drive is selected as the startup disk.

3. dictoresno, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

ok thank you let me check this preference. also, the external drive was also the old internal drive. so there is an installation of Mavericks on it as well as my backups. should i wipe the drive clean so it cannot be booted into as a normal OS disk and just as an external backup?

EDIT: as it turns out, this was my issue. the backup HD was selected as the default, so it was attempting to reboot into it for recovery. i switched it from the backup drive, to the Mac HD as the default. thank you very much for the solution.