Time machine HD q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

okay, ive decided i should invest in a backup drive.

i have about $100 saved now, but hopefully around $150 by the end of the month when my ebay auctions end.

i hear its good to get twice the size of the amount of storage you used.
    that would only be an 80GB drive.

it has taken me 3 years to get 40 GB's, and in the past year it has only grown about 5GB.

am i right in saying i should get somethign a bit hefty-er than 80GB?

120? 160?

i am probably going to get one of the western digital passports if that makes a diff. just wanted to see what you guys thought before i spend all that money.

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Most definitely get something bigger than 80 GB. If you have the $150 you are talking about, you can get a USB (maybe firewire too) bus-powered external drive with 250GB of space. That way, if you are only using it for backups, you can have quite a few of them under Time Machine (meaning pretty far back in time) And, if your media library or something grows in the future, you will have plenty of extra space. It can never hurt to have too much. Also, if you don't need something portable (i.e. bus powered), than you can always get a full size, plug in, external drive, in which case you can get lots of space for even cheaper. I got a WD 500GB essential edition drive, split between media and Time Machine. It's all in what you want/need, and from the sounds of how little data you have, you have tons of options.
    Check out Amazon, they have good prices on these drives, and of course ebay (but DO NOT get cheap **** on there in terms of a HD, this is your data we are talking about, and you don't want a failing drive...

3. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Definitely get something bigger than 80gb. You WILL regret your purchase. Prices for storage are around $.30 per GB for a non-portable drive. (Such as the WD My Books) Get at least 120gb, you will be glad you did. I went with a 500gb WD Home Edition (Wall Powered, 2 Firewire 400 ports, USB 2.0, eSATA) for about $125 eight months ago, and prices have dropped.