Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zushi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Hello!

I'm facing the urge of replacing hard drive in my macbook. I've got latest back-up on Time Machine disk, and I'm a little bit confused about the whole process. I've read in Gizmondo , which says about using installation disc which leaves me at the crossroads now. I've acquired 10.8 installer via Internet, therefore I've got no CD. What should I do now? Can I use old installer and Time Machine will cover the problem of different systems? Or should I use Carbon Copy Cloner, will it be easier?

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Hello!

I'm facing the urge of replacing hard drive in my macbook. I've got latest back-up on Time Machine disk, and I'm a little bit confused about the whole process. I've read in Gizmondo , which says about using installation disc which leaves me at the crossroads now. I've acquired 10.8 installer via Internet, therefore I've got no CD. What should I do now? Can I use old installer and Time Machine will cover the problem of different systems? Or should I use Carbon Copy Cloner, will it be easier?

Cheers,
Peter

Keep your old HDD in the computer and use CCC or Superduper to clone over to the new HDD connected with a SATA adapter. Amazon and Newegg are good places to look. That way things are where they need to be and you know it will work.

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
Faced this same subject a few months back and I found it much much easier to hookup new HHD via USB and just use CCC. After CCC is complete restart and boot to new drive that is still connected via USB to ensure everything is good. Then swap drives.

Santo20

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Bahrain
Faced this same subject a few months back and I found it much much easier to hookup new HHD via USB and just use CCC. After CCC is complete restart and boot to new drive that is still connected via USB to ensure everything is good. Then swap drives.

So we will be using the HDD like an External one via USB using a dock to clone it right?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So we will be using the HDD like an External one via USB using a dock to clone it right?

From your first post it sounds like the TM backup was made with Mountain Lion?

If it was, you don't need anything else.

Just install the new drive then attached the USB TM backup disk and option key boot to it. That will start a recovery screen. Then use Disk Util from that screen to format the new disk to Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and click restore. This will move the entire OS and all your data to the new disk from your TM backup.

Santo20

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Bahrain
From your first post it sounds like the TM backup was made with Mountain Lion?

If it was, you don't need anything else.

Just install the new drive then attached the USB TM backup disk and option key boot to it. That will start a recovery screen. Then use Disk Util from that screen to format the new disk to Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and click restore. This will move the entire OS and all your data to the new disk from your TM backup.

You're right.Surprisingly,when I was trying to help someone to get their MacBook formatted to OS X Lion and by mistake I selected this option and it returned everything exactly the same before the format operation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.