Time Machine HDD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aph2008, Dec 22, 2008.

1. aph2008 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

After buying my second mac I am now looking to start backing them up, I should have done this ages ago but never got around to doing it.

My question is do I have to use a Time Capsule to use Time Machine over the network and if not which is the best Network attached storage to use.

I can't really justify spending the 300 odd quid for the 1TB TC when I wouldnt be using it as a router as I am on sky broadband and with there T&C I have to use there router.

Thanks

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Networked storage is painfully slow, even if you use gigabit ethernet. I returned a faulty Time Capsule to Apple a few weeks ago and vowed never to go near anything like that again.

I really think you are best using a direct connection to your computer - I just got myself a Seagate Freeagent Desk for Mac and it works so fast because it has a FireWire 800 connection.

3. aph2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

If i was using a desktop I would have but having a MB and a MBP a direct connection is going to be a pain.

Does anyone have any good experiences with network storage?

Thanks

4. Rewes macrumors member

I'm thinking about getting an AirPort Extreme and connecting an external harddrive to it in order to use it with TimeMachine. I think it should work like TimeCapsule does, or am I mistaken?

This could be a solution for you too if it works. :)

5. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I tried this, but it led to a world of pain with corrupted backups so I popped out and bought a Time Capsule - no problems yet...

I remember reading earlier in the year that using an AEBSn with a USB drive for Time Machine was possible but not supported by Apple in any way so don't even try it. Maybe this was just a cunning ploy to up Time Capsule sales.

6. aph2008 thread starter macrumors newbie

So time caspule it seems is the way to go, next question is this then.

If i purchase the 500GB one (the 1TB seems a tad expensive) if I then added a USB HDD to it would it use that for backups?

Thanks