Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aph2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Hi Guys,

After buying my second mac I am now looking to start backing them up, I should have done this ages ago but never got around to doing it.

My question is do I have to use a Time Capsule to use Time Machine over the network and if not which is the best Network attached storage to use.

I can't really justify spending the 300 odd quid for the 1TB TC when I wouldnt be using it as a router as I am on sky broadband and with there T&C I have to use there router.

Thanks

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Networked storage is painfully slow, even if you use gigabit ethernet. I returned a faulty Time Capsule to Apple a few weeks ago and vowed never to go near anything like that again.

I really think you are best using a direct connection to your computer - I just got myself a Seagate Freeagent Desk for Mac and it works so fast because it has a FireWire 800 connection.

aph2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
If i was using a desktop I would have but having a MB and a MBP a direct connection is going to be a pain.

Does anyone have any good experiences with network storage?

Thanks

Rewes

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Does anyone have any good experiences with network storage?

Thanks

I'm thinking about getting an AirPort Extreme and connecting an external harddrive to it in order to use it with TimeMachine. I think it should work like TimeCapsule does, or am I mistaken?

This could be a solution for you too if it works. :)

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I'm thinking about getting an AirPort Extreme and connecting an external harddrive to it in order to use it with TimeMachine. I think it should work like TimeCapsule does, or am I mistaken?

This could be a solution for you too if it works. :)

I tried this, but it led to a world of pain with corrupted backups so I popped out and bought a Time Capsule - no problems yet...

I remember reading earlier in the year that using an AEBSn with a USB drive for Time Machine was possible but not supported by Apple in any way so don't even try it. Maybe this was just a cunning ploy to up Time Capsule sales.

aph2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
So time caspule it seems is the way to go, next question is this then.

If i purchase the 500GB one (the 1TB seems a tad expensive) if I then added a USB HDD to it would it use that for backups?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.