time machine help NEEDED

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Snrubsy, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Snrubsy macrumors newbie

hi,
    i accidentally dragged the time machine app out of applications in the finder onto the desktop, i the dragged that into the dock, and trashed the one on the desktop, and then, stupidly, cleared the trash! im gonna kill myself! wot can i do. ive been lookin around for a time machine download andfound 1 of apple.com. i downloaded and halfway through the installation, at the part when it asks which HDD to install to, i click it, and it ses you maust have OS X.5.2 or newer, but ive got OS X.5.5! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, the thing in the Applications folder is just a shortcut to the tool built into System Preferences.

Do you have a Time Machine backup? If so, maybe you could start it via the System Preferences icon and then restore the shortcut back into Applications.

If not, you might be able to use the Pacifist program to reinstall the shortcut from the original install DVDs.

Worse case, you do an "Archive and Install" restore by booting from the restore DVD. That'll reinstall the OS without losing your personal data.

3. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I'm sure that you can just browse your Time Machine disk with Finder until you find it. It will be in Applications in your oldest backup.

4. Snrubsy thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers, i'll try that,
    to comment, no, I don't have any backups yet. But V good info. thx