Time Machine Help (Please!!!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cryz11, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cryz11 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone... Here's my problem. I used to have a laptop that I would back up using an external hard drive that I had plugged into my air port. I recently purchased a new iMac and although I started over with a brand new set of backups, I kept the hard drive plugged into my air port rather than my computer (Originally, I preferred it this way so I wouldn't have to periodically connect my laptop). For the sake of improving the speed of the backups, I decided to just plug the hard drive straight into the iMac (since I won't be carrying it around with me!). Here's where things get messy though... Now whenever I enter time machine, it only shows the CURRENT files and there is NO history at all. Even if I do a new backup, the time machine will only show the current files. If I mount the disk image from the hard drive, I am able to right click on the time machine icon on the dock and "Browse Other Time Machine Disks" and see all of my old back-ups (from when it was connected to the air port) as well as the new ones (since it's been plugged directly into my computer). In other words, the back-ups have been continuous and did not start over when I moved the hard drive, but for some reason, my computer won't open those back ups when I enter time machine...

Any ideas how I can fix this??? Thanks!!!!

2. cryz11 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

So let me get this right, you have an external hard drive that you plug in (I assume via USB) into your Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS), you've now plugged it directly into your iMac and now your backups don't show up properly?

I'm curious, if you plug it back into your AEBS does it work?
    After that (or before, it's up to you), perhaps try right clicking Time Capsule and select "Browse other time machine disks" and let us know what options you get?