Time Machine Help - Won't recognise existing backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Shreedhan, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Shreedhan macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm confused with what's happening with my backups.

I had me external drive connect to my iMac for a year now (using Time Machine).

Yesterday I put my HDD on my airport extreme so other people on my network could access it. Turns out no one want's to access it and so I put it back on my iMac via USB so it's faster to access for me.

Now when I point time machine to the same HDD it want's to make new backups of everything and can't because I only have 40 Gb left. The existing Backups.backupdb is still there.

Any help?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is an unfortunate artifact of the way Time Machine is designed. It doesn't like drives being moved or swapped, because this operation changes their unique ID that TM uses to make sure it's using the same drive. I have run into similar issues myself in the past, and I have yet to find a solution. :(

3. zoran macrumors 68030

how certain are you about this wrldwzrd89? has apple said this officially or something?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I determined this from experimenting and looking at the logs Time Machine generated in the Console. Totally non-scientific, but it's the best guess I can come up with at the moment, based on known data.

5. zoran macrumors 68030

Is it true that when setting up a new Mac, you can choose to migrate data from a Time machine backup connected to the new Mac.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You sure can. In fact, this method is what I'll be doing when I install Snow Leopard - wiping the drive clean, installing, then restoring my user data.

7. zoran macrumors 68030

But it can only be used to restore data, not to be used as TM, beeing able to go back n check files etc. right?

8. zoran macrumors 68030

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Actually, I did not get to read the entire problem..I just searched the page for the problem I was facing and boom..i found a solution...;)

U should try the same...

10. Shreedhan thread starter macrumors newbie

When I restarted my computer, it seemed to find it again, weird.

Thanks for the help though!