Time Machine help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Revomonster, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Revomonster macrumors regular

Revomonster

I think that I am posting this in the right area. ANyway, I have a 2010 21 inch imac. It has been working perfectly up until now. I did something to something, and to make a long story short, had to restore my computer to one of my time machine backups. I have done this before, and to me it seemed fairly strate forward. So, I go in to time machine and select the backup that I want, and tell it to restore my mac to that version. So then there is a pop up that asks me "Do you want to replace your current copy of “Desktop” with the one you’re restoring? “Desktop” is required by Mac OS X. To replace it, you may need to enter an administrator’s name and password." I tell is to replace the current desktop with the past one. Then after a min, then it says "The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to modify “Desktop”." How can I not have permission to modify me decktop? I am the only user of this mac. There are no other people or users using my mac and it is giving me this problem. After that, then I restarted my mac to see if that would do anything, and it is giving me even more problems. It is almost as if time machine got partially through the process and erased some things. Now, I have folders that cannot be found, my desktop was changed even. This is a really bad thing for me because I do school on my mac, and without some of those files then I have to do a half a year of school all over again. is there some way that I can give myself permission so that I can restore my computer back to what it was? Please Help!

2. Revomonster thread starter macrumors regular

Revomonster