Time Machine Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tomwvr, Jun 8, 2013.

1. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

I have a home network set up through my DSL modem/router combo and my time machine.

Several of our macs will switch between networks and then not be able to print on the network. I have tried to disable the network on the modem/router with instructions given from verizon but when I do and set up the time machine to be the router it will not connect to the internet.

How do I set up the time machine to only do back ups and not act as a router for a network or does anyone have any ideas how to kill a dsl modem/router combo and turn it into a DSL Modem only?

i found these instructions for my modem/router combo but as I said it doesnt allow the TM to connect to the internet
    I found these instructions on turning the 7500 into bridge mode and using the TC as the router

Scenario:
    You got a Westell 7500 modem from Verizon DSL but already have your own router that you want to use.

The following few steps explain how to make the Westell 7500 work in bridge mode.

Note: If at any point you feel like something went wrong, the modem isn’t responding.. anything at all – DON’T PANIC! That’s what our little reset friend is for, just hold down the reset button for about 10 seconds, the modem will restart itself and you’re back to step 1.

How to set Verizon Westell 7500 to bridge mode:

First make sure everything is connected properly, your connection for the first part should look like this:
    DSL line > Westell 7500 > Ethernet cable into your computer
    (and of course power… apparently nothing works without power – go figure)

Part 1 – switching to bridge mode
    1. Open your favorite browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1
    2. Log in using your user name and password, if never changed the default is admin / password
    3. Go to My Network > Network Connections (left menu)
    4. Click on Broadband connection.
    5. Click on the edit icon in the VC’s table (bottom table).
    6. Set Protocol to Bridge.
    7. Set Bridge mode to Bridge.
    8. Hit apply to save changes.

Part 2 – Disabling wireless – optional but very recommended
    1. Click Wireless network
    2. Basic settings
    3. Switch wireless network to Off
    4. Apply

Part 3 – Disabling DHCP
    1. Go to Network connections > Lan.
    2. Uncheck Private lan (first option).
    3. Apply.

Done!
    You are now in bridge mode, the modem will restart and your computer will no longer get an IP from it, connect your router to the modem, set your IP address and you’re good to go.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have two options, figure out how to get the DSL modem into bridge mode (looks like you already tried that), or just put the Time Capsule in bridge mode from the screen below in Airport Utility.

[​IMG]

3. tomwvr thread starter macrumors regular

tomwvr

So if I set the TIME MACHINE to bridge mode - I will then have one wireless network up and the computers at home will still be able to use the TM for backups - is that correct?

PS
    My Imac is my first mac in almost 30 years (had a mac SE ) but since the kids all have mac book pros for college and my wife has a mac book pro I decided to go MAC so far I love it but these little things are stuff I just cant quite figure out - I always remember Macs as turn on and they work - no settings ect :>)

Thanks
    Tom

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This would give you two wireless networks... the TM and the DSL router, but you can ignore the DSL router and everybody can use the TM for wifi and backups just like the DSL router did not exist. What you may want to do (optional) is turn off the wifi on the DSL router so people are not confused by seeing two wifi names in the house.

Lots of changes since the SE. :D

5. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I had to do something similar but in the reverse. I but my FIOS modem/router in Bridge Mode and use my TC as the router and TM backup device. This way TC controls my wireless network and there's no fuss when it comes to TM.

Apart from the software configuration I also needed to do some cable swapping. I have the WAN port of the FIOS modem/router connected to a LAN port on the TC and I have the WAN port on the TC connected to a LAN port on the FIOS modem/router.