Time Machine Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iczster, Dec 8, 2014.

1. iczster macrumors member

Can anyone help please, this is my first Mac and I want to schedule a TM backup to do the following.

• I have a 6TB LaCie RAID drive and want to create a folder on there to store backups
    • Include certain network folders from another NAS to be backed up
    • Pick what times and how often backups occur. No problem doing a full backup overnight

Any ideas on how this can be done simply and can it be done with TM?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

That is not at all how TM works. I think you would benefit by reading up on Time Machine. Pondini wrote some excellent advice on it that is still correct. You can find it by clicking http://pondini.org/OSX/Home.html

It does regular backups, it also does not play well with NAS's with the exception of Apple's own Time Capsule router/HD combo. While there are many NASs that say they work with TM, Apple does not support any of them. This means if you update OS X at all then your NAS may likely stop working until the NAS developers get around to updating their systems.

My recommendation...If you want TM to work reliably simply get either a Separate EHD and connect it as Apple intended it to work or get a TC for a NAS solution.

3. iczster thread starter macrumors member

Bit limiting I want to backup by exception. Ill reinstall if I need to.

Any other applications anyone recommended or best just writing my own scripts and running them in cron?

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In the Time Machine System Preference you can tell it what you want to exclude. You cannot tell it what to include because TM is designed to backup everything.