Time Machine help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PennCentralFan, Jan 15, 2017.

1. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I have a late 2016 13" MBP with the touch bar.

I set up time machine for the first time today, since I got the machine last week. I had to interrupt time machine because something came up and I had to go somewhere. So I just unplugged the external hard drive figuring that I would just plug it back it and redo time machine.

So when I reconnected the external hard drive and started the time machine I got these tiled windows. It won't continue the time machine when I left off. It acts like I have a legit time machine backup. I just want to redo time machine and it won't let me. How do I restart a new time machine?

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

If you just unplug a drive you run the risk of corruption. Especially if files were being written.

What happens when you do backup now?

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

What do you mean by this?

If this is a new Time Machine that got corrupted or something, I would just simply reformat the external hard drive and start over like that.

I'm not sure if MacOS Sierra Time Machine still works the same as previous versions of OS X but you can simply select "skip backup" (or something like that) when you click on the menu bar icon.

4. leman macrumors 604

I think there is a confusion here. If you start time machine app, you start the backup retrieval process. If you want to continue the backup, you can go to system preferences time machine tab. Or, enable TM Icon in the menu bar and click that to control your backup progress.

And yes, removing disk string backup is perfectly safe, assuming that your disk is of good quality and doesn't "cheat". Apple uses special disk commands to ensure that the writes have been completed - afaik, no other OS supports this - to make it safe. If you remove the disk and some most recently written data is lost, the backup will still be in valid state.

5. PennCentralFan thread starter macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Thanks for your suggestions. I reformatted my external disk and followed your advice and I successfully completed one time machine backup.