Time Machine Help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marnslee, Apr 28, 2008.

1. marnslee macrumors newbie

OMG, i have just done something that may have caused a disaster and i need some help please. I currently have leopard installed on a 2.4ghz intel 24" iMac with VMware to run windows vista, which unfortunately i need to run my adobe design package (until I can afford to upgrade to a mac version). what has happened, is that i was replacing a heap of fonts and stuffed up, so instead of fixing the problem i thought, AH! use the time machine to restore the vm to just a couple of hours ago. luckily, I do store all my files on the mac os so they are safe.

so i restored the documents/virtual machines/ location and said replace when prompted. after this was finished the vm file located in that directory was missing and i cant find it in any of the previous backups so i am at a loss as to what to do. there was a heap of software installed and heaps of windows fonts that i dont have any other copies of. so if there is anyone who thinks they may be able to help that would be great. I have a magazine due out by friday and am a little stressed.

regards

Stressed Marne:confused:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ODG im not aware of how to fix this problem,

so you replaced all of your virtual hard drive images with the older backed up ones???

shouldnt you just be able to recover the state aswell (its a file that remembers the RAM and configuration and all that). im not sure where that is stored in VMware, i only have experience with parallels.

goodluck!! youll need it!

3. marnslee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks lol!

yes that is what i did, and it has totally disappeared in all the previous time machine backups since restoring that file. i am at a loss as to why this has happened, i think it is a bit suspect!!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

from all of the backups??? thats relaly relaly gay

may i suggest downloading "tinkertool", enabling hidden files to be seen, navigating to your time machine HD and trying to locate it in there somewhere? there may be a heep of files to sift through, but you never know!

5. marnslee thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but unfortunately, i already have show hidden files and there is nada! i have been talking to a couple of techs and not looking good. i am currently in the process of reinstalling everything! i downloaded a tool called data rescue and as good as it is it could not locate that file "windows vista.vmwarevm" this is a very good lesson, dont always take the quickest root or rush into things without thinking them through! man i could go on and on and on and on and on........... someone kick me please

If you have vmware always have a hard copy backup somewhere!

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you're using Boot camp to host the windows machine then you didn't restore anything using VMware. as all the windows stuff is on its own partition. and I don't think you can get Time machine to back up your windows side...

7. marnslee thread starter macrumors newbie

no it doesnt, now looking further into it the vmware i use, not boot camp, does not get backed up by time machine (too big), however, it showed that the file was there and i just clicked and restored, and overwrite the original. just stupid!