Time Machine Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ggt, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ggt macrumors regular

I have Time Machine backing up my mac's hd and an external fw drive. The fw drive seems to have died, it powers on but no matter what I do it won't mount. i've tried a new cable, reset the smc, tried it in another mac but nothing works.

All my work is on the fw drive so I really need to recover the data.

As the drive won't mount, it's not in the finder list and therefor doesn't show up when I open time Machine.

I can see the the raw back up files but i'm not sure if these are a full back up.

Has anyone restored from these raw files and if so did it work?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty certain that Time Machine is set up such that you can grab those backup files directly and copy them to another location, and you'll get the full file. Try it and open one, see what you get--that's a pretty guaranteed test, and it only takes a second.

A question on the unmountable drive, does it show in Disk Utility at all? If it's not there at all, could be the bridge board that died, and the drive inside might be fine (had that happen). If only the bridge shows, no drive (you might need to use System Profiler to see if it shows in the list of connected devices), then maybe it's the drive, not the case.

If it shows both and is just grayed out, it might be reparable...